Term two school holidays run from Saturday 10 July to Sunday 25 July which means there’s plenty of time for young and old to have fun.
Christchurch City Council libraries throughout the region have numerous awesome school holiday programmes, some of which need to be booked, while others are just “drop-in” and enjoy.
Craft activities include learning to code with the libraries’ newest eResource Prenda Code Club. Budding young techies can build something awesome such as a website, video game, app, animations or programmes.
Other options include learning how to create a podcast via the libraries’ latest STEAM Lab Online and how to blog.
More traditional craft sessions include making a Fijian salusalu (necklace/garland), Filipino paper dolls, origami clothes, woven paper placemats and – especially for Matariki – a woven star out of ribbon.
Aside from library activities, there’s plenty of winter fun for the whole family in the days ahead.
Metropol’s suggestions for fun are:
- Check out the hot water pools at New Brighton
- Take in a family movie complete with popcorn
- Visit the nearest beach to find Mr Whippy
- Pack the skis or boards for the snow and slopes
- Book a family fishing trip out of Lyttelton
- Hit the trails for some mountain biking
- Enjoy a few rounds of mini-golf
- Head to the Supa Kart racetrack for a team race