Start in style
Christchurch Casino New Zealand Trotting Cup Day (November 13) is one of the most highly anticipated and prestigious events on the Christchurch social calendar so why not kick start (or finish off) this spectacular day of racing, fashion and fun at one of these fabulous establishments.
1. Start your day in style at the Christchurch Casino in Victoria Street with a scrumptious buffet breakfast, glass of bubbly, beer or orange juice for only $50 per person. Tickets available online and include a return bus ticket to Addington. (R20 and dress code applies).
2. The perfect place to begin your race day celebrations is in the heart of Merivale with a champagne breakfast at No.4 Bar and Restaurant, along with Cup Week prizes and live music. Book your seat to Addington Raceway on November 13 on the legendary No.4 bus ($19) and enjoy a complimentary beverage on return.
3 . Trevinos Restaurant & Bar in Riccarton will be open from 9am offering an à la carte breakfast with complimentary glass of bubbles to get you in the mood.
4. Situated in Lincoln Road, The Pedal Pusher is a short stroll from the action at Addington Raceway, offering a champagne breakfast daily throughout Cup Week. A funky and vibrant gastropub, The Pedal Pusher now has live music on a Sunday from 3pm to 6pm.
5.Get together with a group of friends and head to JDV in Merivale before – and after. With late night dining until 11:30pm you will not have an excuse but to return to the party at JDV.
6. Renowned for its amazing breakfasts, Bloody Mary’s in Latimer Square will be serving up a delicious pre-race day buffet (with a few extra goodies) on Tuesday November 13. Guests will be treated with a glass of bubbly on arrival starting the day off in style.
7. If champagne is your thing then you can’t look past the upscale neighbourhood bar Vesuvio Wine & Tapas Bar. Throughout Cup Week, the European style bar is running a special Champagne by The Glass Menu, champagne specials and champagne cocktails.
8. Louis Champagne and Oyster Bar Owner Jason Whitelaw says “a party without champagne is just a meeting”. G.H. Mumm is just one of the champagnes available at Louis where you can start your day in style. Louis’ celebrated after parties have proven again a hit (with two selling out) but that doesn’t mean you can’t get in on the action at other times during Cup Week.
9. From November 13 to 18 Aikmans in Merivale will be turning it up starting with a Moet & Chardon Champagne Breakfast and return bus to Addington ($35 per person). There will be special events taking place every day with live music, drink specials and prizes for best dressed.
10. For Cup Day, the Carlton has you covered with three options to begin your day right with a champagne breakfast and buffet breakfast for $25 or add in a bus ride to Addington for $35 (inclusive) on the Carlton bus.