Rich fruit cake
Years ago my grandmother gave me her recipe for old fashioned pound cake, which was baked for special occasions such as weddings, christenings, and Christmas. It was adapted from the New Zealand Country Women’s Institute Cookery Book.
115g mixed peel
Grated rind of 1 orange
1 Tbsp orange juice
1/4 Tsp baking soda
1/4 Tsp baking powder
- Cream the butter and sugar, add the eggs, and beat well.
- Add baking soda and baking powder to flour in a separate bowl, and mix throughly.
- Add fruit, mixed peel, orange rind and juice to beaten eggs, butter, and sugar.
- Gently mix the wet and dry ingredients together.
- Pour into a lined baking tin (round or square), and bake about three hours in a moderate over.