Good planning is essential
When planning a social-style celebration, there are a few essential steps to ensure success.
Clear communication is important, as is making other people’s responsibilities clear from the start.
Whether it’s for an 80th birthday party, a wedding or anniversary, family reunion or a ladies lunch, some planning is needed, although how much will depend on the type and size of the gathering.
The occasion, theme, budget, venue, catering, entertainment, and number of guests must all be taken into consideration.
Here are some tips from Metropol:
- Decide on the type and size of the event.
- Planning a wedding may take far more effort than a birthday celebration.
- Determine the theme (if any) and budget.
- Find the perfect venue. Sometimes it may be as simple as booking a favourite restaurant, other times it may involve having sufficient space, on-site catering,
liquor licence etc.
- Stick to your budget. It dictates what is and isn’t possible throughout the planning process.
- Work out a schedule and timeline even for an informal event, so nothing is missed out.
- Co-opt others to help, especially if there are a lot of moving parts. Make sure everyone knows their
Conferences are an essential part of academic life, providing the chance to present, listen to and review important and cutting-edge ideas, theories, and scientific finds.
If you want to know about the very latest findings in your field, sometimes before they are even published, then a conference is the place to be. Many researchers will present preliminary findings or work which has not yet been published, and these ideas can be great inspiration.
If you are a presenter then getting in front of the crowd is a chance to improve your presentation and communication skills. Soft skills are important for every career, and in academia or research such skills are particularly important.
Rehearsing will make you more comfortable in front of an audience, while answering questions after your presentation and chatting with other attendees will help hone your communications skills.
Listening to and participating in lively discussions at conferences can give you new ideas, help refine your existing concepts, and maybe even change your mind about emerging or key issues in a specific field.
Events usually include time for networking, during which attendees can create new connections with other professionals in the industry, and renew contact with those they already know. This one-on-one contact is a great opportunity to generate leads and new potential customers for your business; as well as turn current customers into brand ambassadors and increase customer loyalty.