Roasted pears with rum syrup
Pears are plentiful now, and this is a quick and easy way to turn them into a delicious dessert.
This recipe uses dark rum which gives a smoky-sweet flavour, however it also works well with port, orange liqueur, and brandy. You can substitute maple syrup for honey.
4 medium-sized pears
75ml dark rum
2 whole cinnamon sticks
1 1/2 Tsp fresh ginger, grated
2/3 cup raw honey
3 Tbsp water
1 1/2 Tsp vanilla extract
4 Tbsp melted butter
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C.
- Cut pears in half, and use a teaspoon to scoop out the core.
- In a small sauce pot on medium heat, add rum, cinnamon sticks, ginger, and simmer on medium for 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat to low, and whisk in honey, water and vanilla until thick.
- Place pears in a baking dish and drizzle half of the rum honey sauce and butter over them.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until pears are tender.
- When the pears are finished, drizzle the rest of the rum honey sauce on top.
- Serve warm with whipped cream, ice-cream or yoghurt, and top with chopped walnuts or pecan.